Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Morning Surprise

Most mornings I start my day by going downstairs, pouring myself a cup of coffee, and gazing out the kitchen window to the back fields. Usually a peaceful sight, sometimes there is a flock of turkeys close to the house, sometimes they are in the back field, just big enough for me to spot, but needing binoculars to verify they are turkeys. Deer are somewhere to be found, except once hunting season starts. Occasionally we happen to catch the deer in the garden and can chase them out. The yaks are either in the woods keeping cool or grazing the fields. This is the time of year we keep a closer eye on them, hoping each morning to spot a new baby. The other morning began like most. I was watching the fields, taking a head count of the yaks, then I realized Boy was not in the field he should be.......actually, Boy was NOT in a fenced field, he was in our garden, outside the fencing, and just yards from the house. OK, no shot of caffeine needed this morning. The sight of our biggest yak bull loose in the back yard got the adrenaline flowing. My first thought was, "who else is loose?" A couple of years ago they all got out and walked through the woods to a neighbor's property, disturbing a family gathering, just back from a funeral. We had no idea where they had wandered so first we had to find them and then herd them all home, long hot day, very tiring and not a day I ever want to repeat. Our biggest bull at that time was not to be found. It took a couple of days and a sheriff's deputy to get him home. We'll have to post that story soon. With that experience in mind I was not thrilled to see Boy loose. So this morning Kenny was awakened to my excited words, "Boy is in the garden!" It didn't take long to find out that he was the only one loose. Boy had apparently knocked the gate off the hinges so it was just hanging, and then climbed or jumped over it. He hadn't gone far, pacing the fence line to stay with his heard. He's such a sweet bull, but those horns are intimidating. He was easy to coax back into his fenced field, the gate secured, and all was good. Not as bad a scenario as I had imagined, but I'd prefer to start my day with a little less excitement and a nice hot cup of coffee.Pin It Now!


billianne said...

Your yaks disturbed a family gathering right after a funeral? Bad form, mate. Let's hear all about it! That's something those folks'll never forget, I bet. And although we don't own yaks, I sympathize with the adrenalin rush that comes with a neighbor's early-morning phone call: "Your (fill in the blank--goat, pigs, horses) are out! In my yard!" Lovely. Who needs coffee when you own potentially destructive farm animals?

Ken & Lorie Zlotkowski said...

Yes, but yaks are pretty docile and relatively easy to herd. I WISH we had gotten a phone call, searching for them took time and we had to cover a lot of wooded area to find them. Seemed like they had walked in circles, so tracking wasn't easy. We'll get the whole story posted soon.

Custom Search

google search